Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day Two--"My Girl"

I bet you're wondering...

Did she in fact participate in a large sing-and-dance? Did a greasy-haired man sweep her off her feet in a fun house? Or, better yet, did she have a pregnancy scare and decide to tell the father she wasn't preggers while riding on a ferris wheel?!

Alas, my life is much more boring. "You're the One that I Want" did not really foreshadow my day at all. However, there were some items it could, with the stretch of the imagination, pertain to:

1. Chipotle. This is where the reader says "Huh?" Well, as I'm sure time will tell, I LOVE Chipotle Mexican Grill established in Denver, Colorado in 1993, more than a lot of more
important things. And yesterday it was the one (and only) thing I wanted for dinner. Again, I repeat, stretch that imagination!

2. I had my first class of the semester. Semester 1 of Year 2 of the Master's program in Art History at Stony Brook University (for those of you that don't know). The class I had yesterday was "Imagination in Art", a philosophy class, which I take at the Manhattan Campus. Granted, it was only the first day and we haven't really gotten into the throws of it, but this is the type of class I've been waiting and praying for! It is the class "I neeeeed, oh yesss indeeeed." No joke.

3. I bought a frozen product from an ice cream truck yesterday. That's right. An ice cream truck just waiting for me down the street from my class. I walked past and convinced myself I did not need what they were offering--but then I quickly realized I in fact did WANT something. I pointed to the picture, and without today's (now yesterday's) song in mind at all, I said "that's the one that I want." What did I want you might ask? Well here it is.



And yes, there is a picture on my phone of me trying to eat this phallic-shaped Popsicle. (PS--My spellcheck just wanted me to capitalize Popsicle. I do as it says.) I am sparing you all of this picture.


So, after the Popsicle, my friend Miles and I (Here's Miles...)
ventured to meet some visitors she had. We had a drink or two and then returned to her abode where I fell asleep on, by far, the most comfortable air mattress I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping on...which brings us to...




Day 2: Operation Why-That-Tune
Song: "My Girl"--The Temptations

"I've got sunshine
On a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside,
I've got the month of May.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl. (My girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl. (My girl)

I've got so much honey
The bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song
Than the birds in the trees."

Some lyrics for those of you that don't know them by heart. The words in blue are just highlighting on of my favorite lines in any song ever...clever, sweet (no pun intended), and effective--can't go wrong.

So why did I wake up with this song in my head? The only reason I can possibly think of to connect my brain with this song is that a couple days ago my roommate, Andrew, our friend Eboni and I went to John Harvard's Brewhouse and Restaurant where Eboni randomly asked "Either of you want to watch "My Girl" with me?" Let me paint a picture...



Eboni and Not Andrew, but since he does not have any
pictures online and I have zero, I Google-image-
searched his name and Voila! Andrew.


Me:"So how's your food guys?"
Andrew: "Good."
Eboni: [Raises knife in air to bring down, tomahawk-style, on her gargantuan size piece of battered fish]
Me: "Wow. That's intense."
Andrew: [Moves away slowly in fear]
Eboni: "Either of you want to watch 'My Girl' with me?"


See how random? I haven't even thought of "My Girl", the film, in years until she mentioned it. Then, a flood of memories...Vada (and how much I love the name Vada), curling up in a ball on a woven rug, an RV, an allergy to bees, Macauley Culkin at his best, his glasses.








Naturally, I said:
"HELLZ NO! I NEVER WANT TO SEE THAT HEARTBREAKING MOVIE EVER AGAIN!"
She understood.

And that my friends is the ONLY reason I can think of why that song would be in my head this very morning...days after it was first mentioned.

And did it predict my day at all? Since this is already a ridiculously long post, the answer is simply no. But it did put me in a good mood on a day with gorgeous weather so, moral of the story:

All is well that begins well.

No comments:

Post a Comment